Haystack Mountain Creamery is GROWING! We are an award-winning artisanal cheese company located in Longmont, Colorado. Jackie Chang is our Head Cheesemaker and has received 80 awards over the last 18 years including the “Best Cheese in America” at the 2017 World Cheese Awards in London.
Locally owned and operated since 1989, we produce an internationally recognized, premium selection of handcrafted raw and pasteurized cheeses. Our cheeses exhibit exceptionally fresh, clean flavors and textures—a direct result of the pure, high-quality goat and cow’s milk and the skill of our team.
Haystack Mountain Creamery is seeking a full-time, long-term employee. The preferred applicant has a passion for food safety and a desire to do all tasks necessary to provide oversight and ensure compliance throughout the supply chain.
The Food Safety Specialist will support our Head of Operations and Head Cheesemaker with the day to day requirements of the Food Safety Department in Longmont, CO. The candidate will work mostly in the production room verifying quality control, monitoring that food safety procedures and documentation are being followed, problem solving as relates to food safety issues, and assisting with compliance. They will ensure the plant is in compliance with all State and Federal regulatory requirements including GMP’s, HACCP, Sanitation, Recall Plans and Environmental Monitoring.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities
Ability to execute the following:
- Implement plant safety programs and ensure compliance with good manufacturing practices (GMP’s).
- Responsible for the Food Security Policy/Program to assess potential food security risks and to ensure food security preventive measures are being implemented and routinely audited regarding the manufacturing, handling and storage of all food ingredients as well as finished goods.
- Responsible for quality inspections and proper storage
- Responsible for quality checks for outgoing cheese as well as returned cheese
- Report and assist with correcting any unsanitary conditions in food storage areas as well as employee work areas
- Assist with maintenance of food prep and packaging equipment, surfaces, tools
- Help develop, maintain, and update all records, manuals, training procedures, product spec books as pertain to food safety and quality control
- Oversee the execute the preparation for any and all food safety audits
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of the plant and warehouse
- Maintain and oversee equipment, making sure they’re in working order and adhere to, and meet food safety guidelines
- Perform other duties as required by Management.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of hands-on experience, preferably in dairy plant operations or food industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associates degree with 5+ years of hands-on experience, preferably in dairy plant operations or food industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Food Safety Certification (preferred) or ability and desire to get certified
- Basic excel, computer skills required
- Effectively communicates and actively listens
- Can multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Has a willing attitude to learn and grow
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds if required
- Must be flexible with work hours and able to work weekends or holidays if required
Compensation & Benefits
- Pay range: $50,000 – $60,000/year depending on experience
- Starting Date: Position to start ASAP
- Benefits: Medical insurance, savings plan, PTO
Opportunity for growth and additional responsibility based on performance and aptitude. Produce delicious, mouthwatering cheeses!